Advocating for Injured Motorcycle Riders in Panama City and the Florida Panhandle
As a law firm with vast experience representing motorcycle riders, we know that, for many, riding is more than simply a mode of transportation; it is a way of life. This passion is demonstrated by the thousands of riders who come to town for the biannual Thunder Beach Motorcycle Rally. A WJHG headline suggests that last weekend's rally and the Bike Week that led up to it may have been the biggest ever. Unfortunately, even the safest of riders is at risk when negligent drivers fail to exercise due care behind the wheel. Our Panama City motorcycle accident law firm is proud to serve the motorcycle community when these motorcycle accidents occur.
Rising Popularity, Rising Motorcycle Injury Rates
In recent decades, the popularity of motorcycles has skyrocketed. According to the Network for Employers for Traffic Safety ("NETS"), there are more than 6.2 million motorcycles registered nationwide. Unfortunately, this popularity has led to a significant increase in motorcycle-related fatalities, with the number of deaths more than doubling over a decade. Motorcycles represent only 2% of all registered vehicles, but they are involved in more than 10% of crashes in the U.S. In 2006, 88,000 riders were injured in highway crashes, and 4,810 died, making motorcycle riders more than 37 times more likely to die per mile travelled than passenger vehicle occupants.
Representing Injured Riders in Northwest Florida
At The Pittman Firm, we know that motorcycle crashes can lead to a wide range of injuries. There are (relatively) the minor injuries like broken bones, torn ligaments, and "road rash." There are also major, life-altering and life-threatening injuries. These can include:
- Head Injuries - Injuries to the head, such as a fractured skull or severe facial scarring, are very common and can occur even when the rider wears a helmet.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries - Even when the skull remains intact, brain injury may be present and can lead to permanent mental and physical problems.
- Spinal Cord Injuries - Spinal cord injuries include spinal contusions and compression, in addition to other injuries that lead to paraplegia or quadriplegia.
- Back Injuries - Slipped discs, sacroiliac joint dysfunction, and facet syndrome are just a few forms of back injury that can result from a motorcycle crash.
- Neck Injuries - A range of serious and painful neck injuries can stem from a motorcycle accident, including pinched nerves, fractures, and herniated discs.
- Other Major, Catastrophic Injuries - Just a few examples: severe burns, internal bleeding, organ damage, severed limbs, and compound fractures.
Representing Seriously Injured Motorcycle Riders in the Florida Panhandle Region
An accident can completely change a victim's life. There can be huge financial costs including not only medical bills and lost wages, but also the costs of modifying a victim's home to make it handicapped-accessible and the costs of travelling for medical care. Victims with permanent injuries may also need home health aides and other assistance with household tasks that the victim used to be able to do for him or herself. Furthermore, there is the mental and emotional impact of a major crash and the resulting injuries.
While an ever-increasing litany of features are designed to keep automobile occupants safe, the fact remains that motorcycles provide virtually no protection to riders. This makes riders vulnerable when the negligence of an inattentive driver leads to a collision. For more than 30 years, Attorney Wes Pittman has represented people injured in motorcycle accidents in Panama City and the surrounding regions. We are proud to serve the motorcycle community. Call if we can help you.