Drunk Driving Accidents
In Florida, drunk driving accidents are taken very seriously. Victims of
accidents caused by intoxicated drivers are entitled to reprieve and reparations.
In Panama City, anyone with blood alcohol levels higher than 0.08% is
considered drunk and is prohibited from driving. It does not matter if
individuals feel fine enough to drive, they cannot if they have had too
much to drink.
Florida’s Zero Tolerance Law for Underage Drinking & Driving
For people under 21 years of age, Florida has a zero tolerance rule. This
means that if anyone younger than 21 is caught driving with an alcohol
level higher than 0.02% (about one drink) they will have their license
automatically suspended for 6 months. All of this is because drunk driving
is an escalating problem.
Drunk Driving Statistics in Florida
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, on average,
there is a fatal drunk driving car crash every 53 minutes, with someone
getting injured every two minutes. Other statistics accumulated by the
- 50 to 75% of convicted drunk drivers continue to drive without a license.
- On average, the rate of drunk driving accidents is highest with drivers
between the ages of 21 to 25.
- On average, 28 people a day are killed in the United States.
- In 2013, 1,149 children, aged 14 and younger, were killed because of drunk
Although you may be a careful driver, you cannot account for how others
drive. However much planning you do, you cannot anticipate other people’s
bad judgment. But if you do find yourself a victim of a drunk driving
accident, there are certain steps we recommend you take.
- If you are able to, call 911 immediately and report what happened.
- When police arrive, let them investigate the scene, although you can alert
them to your suspicion of the other driver being drunk.
- Take notes of exactly what you see and take pictures. You want to be able
to tell police and attorneys (if you choose to obtain one) every detail you can.
- Exchange contact information with any witnesses who might have seen the
- Visit the ER and make sure that you are okay.
Contacting a Florida Car Accident Lawyer
Drunk driving accidents can happen out of nowhere. Don’t let the
damages and injuries blindside you. Our Panama City auto accident attorneys
want to fight on your behalf. Call Wes Pittman today for a consultation.